- I am a God loving, husband supporting, children raising, creative living, exercise grooving, incredibly blessed woman whose life is never normal --My passion is turning blah into bling, so let me help you customize, accessorize, and organize your home. Recyclying what you love and bringing new where it's needed. With "Finishing Touches" I will give you personal attention in your personal space. Let's work together to make your space like no other! -- email@example.com
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Okay, so you know how stinking excited I am about all the bargains I go for our new rental home. Well, I can't find my camera chord, so I can't show any before and after shots of anything right now, ugh! So frustrating to lose things in a move that was less than 10 miles from our last house here in NC.
We are almost settled in our new home. It is such a happy thought to almost be there and know we can stay put for 2 years. Remember, our desire is to get completely out of debt in the next 2 years before we buy a house. Also, we still have a house in Fl., it is available in Oct. if any of you ladies want a great vacation, we can get you a deal :-)
Oh happy, I can post some of our Townhouse pictures, those are on my computer. So the pictures you will see at the end of the post are of our home in Fl., which is a fully furnished, you only bring your clothes, home for you to rent.
So, in the last 2 weeks I have made 16 lampshades. Crazy fun! Some are for our new home here, the rest were custom orders for local customers and through my etsy shop. I can't wait to find my camera chord, because I am pleased to tell you I now offer accent pillows to go with your lampshade, for only $20 a pillow. I recently have made several for lampshade customers that I took pictures of. A pillow and lampshade to match, is a really great, and inexpensive way to get a completely custom look in your space. You can always send me your fabric, actually my last 3 etsy customers have done that, it is so fun to learn about these women, just through their choice of fabric.
So, forgive me for not updating you on my $1000 house of furniture. It is coming together beautifully and I can't wait to share all that God has provided, and Oh the clever mind He has had to give me to make everything work in this space :-)
Monday, July 27, 2009
Once her mom, my sweet friend, Barb, saw what a difference it made, she hired me to make this one for her living room. It looks fabulous in the room and really goes great with her other fabrics.
Saturday, July 18, 2009
My daughter's dresser came from Craigslist. It was hand painted, I loved it, very shabby chic. The girl wanted $175, I new I couldn't do that when I had to furnish and entire house, so I got it for $130 and she made me a matching one for my 3 year old daughter for $100. Can't wait to show you pictures, sorry, they are buried in the garage right now.
Saturday, July 11, 2009
Well, my husband's job has changed and so we have to move out of this rental that his company is paying for, since he will not be with this company anymore. He has a great job and we are super blessed, so that makes moving a little easier. Also remember we moved here from Jacksonville Fl. and everything is still in Jacksonville. We also decided that is where all of our stuff is going to stay :-) WHAT?
This is where my title comes from. I have to give you a little background first to tell you how I got to this insane $1000 budget!
A few weeks ago we started Financial Peace University with Dave Ramsey. It is a 3 month class we are taking at a church in our neighborhood. It is kicking our tails. SOOOO... good! Dave Ramsey encourages you to NEVER borrow money from anyone and to live DEBT FREE!
Ten years ago when my husband and I got married, we were stupid :-) Well, we weren't stupid to get married, we were stupid in our thinking about money. We decided we NEEDED to furnish our home with all new furniture. SO, we did! Yes, we believed the lie of "Buy Now", "Pay Later", "NO Interest." Right! Well, the furniture is paid for, but how stupid were we to believe the "no interest" lie. As if a furniture company is really going to "give" their stuff away :-) So we paid a lot more than we should have.
So, we are running hard and fast after our student loans, cars, and second mortgage debt. We really desire to not be "normal" anymore. We want to send our 3 children to school without student loans and teach them to buy their first car with cash! So fun! So, since we are budgeting down to the penny, we really do not have "extra" money to buy new furniture for our next rental house. (we are choosing to rent until we are out of debt) Remember we have a mortgage in Fl. already, and we are about to have no furniture when we move out of this fully furnished rental on July 31st.
We desire to use our home in Fl. for ministry and Lord willing, to profit. The way we can do that is by renting it fully furnished. So, we have a beautiful cozy townhouse in Fl. that is available in Oct. for you :-) There is a sweet family renting it now until Oct. I have been SO delighted to hear how they love it, this really encourages us to know we made the right decision.
A friend recently asked me why I didn't furnish the townhouse in FL. for the $1000 and bring everything we love here? Honestly, I believe this is all about God changing my heart to honor Him with everything. I want others to enjoy the beauty there and trust God to provide new things here, which will be a constant reminder of our focus to honor Him with our finances.
SO, I have given myself $1000 to try and get only the things I thought we would need for our home. Here is my list: 3 Beds, 5 dressers, Table and chairs, couch, love seat, chair, 4 side tables, and a desk to get organized :-)
I can't wait to share with you how God has provided all of these things and more! Next post I will break down where my money went and show you how I was able to do this. Not only is our new house here in NC fully furnished, but I even had money to buy some beautiful fabrics to cover some of our "not so pretty" new furniture :-)
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
- Now that the weather's warm and you are enjoying your front and back porch, put a lamp on the side table. It will make your porch very welcoming and cozy.
- Change all your light bulbs out for 40 Watt bulbs or less. To get the coziest feel, use a 25 Watt bulb. Try it, you will be SO happy you did.
- If you have task lighting use 60 Watt, no higher :-)
- Take your bedroom lamps and switch them out with your living room lamps for a free fresh look.
- If you only have overhead lighting in your home, go to Target, Walmart, Lowes, TJ Maxx, or Home Goods and treat yourself to a new lamp. You will be so happy you did. If you did this, let me know, and I will customize the perfect shade for you to complete your look. I will do this, with FREE SHIPPING!!! A $10-$22 savings depending on the size shade. I only use UPS, so your lampshade is carefully packaged, shipped and insured.
- Try putting a small lamp on your kitchen counter instead of using your stove light. It will add some unpredictable fun to your kitchen. Or try it in your bathroom instead of a nightlight.
- Put a dimmer light over your dining room table for those intimate special occasions. If you don't have romantic dinners at home :-) the lighting will create the mood for you.
- Take down your ceiling fan and switch it out for a fabulous chandelier, this can work in any room.
- When it gets dark out, go throughout your home and turn on only your lamps, you will feel like you are in a bed and breakfast.
- Again, I will say, if you can't do any of these things because you do not even own a lamp, please buy at least one for the room you spend the most time in. You will not regret it. You can find some really great and fun vintage lamps at Goodwill. We can take care of the shade here!
Monday, May 4, 2009
I always want to take pictures of the shades I have made. I sometimes forget :-) So these 3 shades are pictures of gifts I made at Christmas and in the New Year.